Florence Gibb Pratt
(1872–1935) Florence graduated from the Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn in 1894. Florence Gibb Pratt and Helen Sherman Pratt were sisters-in-law and well-known members of the Glen Cove community. In addition to other philanthropic causes, they used their considerable wealth and political influence to work for women’s suffrage and help secure political equality for women.
Florence and husband Herbert’s summer estate was called Braes. (It is now the home of Webb Institute of Naval Architecture). Helen and husband George’s summer estate was Killenworth. Their homes were right around the corner from each other and were often sites of parties, dances, and fundraisers – all to benefit suffrage.
In December of 1917 Florence held the post of Treasurer of the Woman Suffrage Party of New York City, as well as Third Vice-Chairman of the Manhattan Borough. That same month she joined a group of delegates from New York State and traveled to Washington DC for the convention of the National American Woman Suffrage Association.
Pratt Cemetery (also known as Dosoris Cemetery)
Old Tappan Road, Lattingtown, NY 11560